Orders are now closed for 2017
Orders will recommence in April 2018. To be notified when you can place an order please send an email to email@example.com
**Please read the instructions below before placing your order**
Order link at the bottom of the page
From April/May to August each year the NRC and Gawler Environment and Heritage Association (GEHA) team up to bring residents of Gawler and surrounding areas the opportunity to purchase cheap locally indigenous plants.
We have made two short films for this project:
– The Understorey Project: Whats it all about?
– How to plant and care for your native garden
Click on the links below to view on YouTube:
How to place an order…
1. Decide if you want to order a mixed box or a custom box
Note: Orders must be in lots of 20 or 50 plants
Mixed Box Cost: $22 for 20 plants or $55 for 50 plants
What is a mixed box? A mixed box will contain species specifically suited to the area you live in. The species in this box will be chosen by the nursery and may contain 3 of one species if thought appropriate ie. grasses are more practical in clumps of 3 or more. This box is great if you are unsure of what to plant, have limited knowledge on what species are specific to your area or if you just want someone else to do the choosing for you.
There are three mixed box options:
- Standard mixed box
- Mixed box with trees (you will get one or two trees with your order)
- NEW! Mixed box of butterfly attracting plants (an assortment of shrubs and smaller plants which are food source for butterflies)
If you have specific requests about the type of plants you want/don’t want in your order you can include this in the ‘Order Notes’ section on Billing information page.
Custom Box Cost: $26 for 20 plants or $65 for 50 plants
What is a custom box? A custom box allows you to make up your own order from the plants available. We advise creating orders with at least 6 different species and multiples of these ie. grasses are more practical in clumps of 3 or more. This box is great if you know which plants are specific for your area and you know what you want to grow in your garden. Note: Depending on availability of some species we may choose to supply a suitable replacement.
2. How to order a mixed box
Select option 7 ‘Mixed Box’ and choose a box(es) of 20 or 50 with trees or without trees.
3. How to order a custom box
- Look at the map below to find out the vegetation association that you live in
- Select option 1-6 depending on the area you live in. eg if the map below identifies you as living in the coastal area then select option 2
- Select the plants you wish to make up your custom box
4. Look at the map below to find which vegetation association you live in. This will help you choose appropriate plants when ordering.
Click here for an enlarged Vegetation Associations Map
Click here for the Understorey Project – Species List 2017 – Gawler NRC
5. At the check-out enter any specific requests for your order in the ORDER NOTES section eg. “I want all grasses in my mixed box”.
Important! If you are ordering trees or shrubs:
ONLY 5% of your order may be made up of TREES (including small, medium and large) eg. In a box of 20 plants 1 of the plants may be a tree species.
ONLY 10% of your order may be made up of MEDIUM/TALL SHRUBS eg. In a box of 20 plants only 2 of the plants may be medium or tall shrub species.